Friday, April 25, 2008

Jumah, ,Iowa,Proper Covering,That's Not Hijab

Insha Allah This post will be about all four topics Insha Allah.

~Jumah~
I went to Jumah today alhumdulilah very nice kutbah masha Allah, the kutbah today was about salat and about performing salat correctly and so forth. I'm not too sure if the Imam mentioned proper covering for men and women because at some point during the kutbah I had to get up and take lil mommah potty. So any who after jumah today one of the sister stood up and made and announcement about sisters not covering correctly for prayer some how I miss that part too because I had gone to put lil mommah shoes on then this sister came out too the shoe area greeted me,and was saying how nervous she was,,,,, and i'm like why? She says because of the comment I just made about sisters not covering correctly then I said oh ok,,,,,,,,, then i'm like wait did I miss that too,,, what comment? Then she explained, and I told her that's good masha Allah unfortunately the ways you see these sisters covering it has to do with their culture. From my own personal experience (being married to an West African man) it's hard to advice some sisters specialy when it comes to it conflicting with their culture of dress. As We're walking to our cars another sister comes up to us and starts talking to us about the comment this sister just made and that We really need to do a talk or have a discussion about proper covering specially during salat. I TOTALY agree.

~~~~~~~Iowa~~~~~~ Growing in my deen understanding proper covering

~~~~~ Proper Covering ~~~~~~ What does it mean to you ?
I remember one morning on my way to work, I was dropping my son off at school an islamic school that was also the masjid, Usually when i go, there is no one there except the maintanace man or women getting school read for the day.This one perticular morning The Imam was there and the layout of this masjid is when you walk in, the imams office/principle office is the first door you see and usually it's closed because he is usually not there when I come because I was dropping my son off early so I could get to work on time. So this one morning I drop him off and I open the door and the imams door is open and he is sitting there and he looked at me in a Very disapointed way so I just thought maybe he is having a not so good morning and was thinking about something at that perticular time and I just happen to see the expression on his face. So I give him the greeting then I walk my son to his class room. I go to leave, and Imam call me into his office, I knew it wasn't something good at this point because he still has that same dissapointing look on his face,.First thing he ask me was, What does Proper hijab and covering mean to YOU? My response scarf,long sleeves, long pants or long skirt,or jilbab. After me saying that he hands me this paper and suggest I read it and As Salaamu Alaikum <-my clue to leave now lol foreal thats all he said Mind you I was on my ways to work so I was wearing some casual pants and a suit jacket and hijab to match and some type of heels or dress shoes. When I left my home that morning I considered my self covered, until the imam asked me that question. That whole day I felt soooooo self conscious about what I had on that day subhanAllah . After reading this article along with a few others, I figure out that I was not covering properly at all subhanAllah . My clothes were in fact not loose enough and the jilbabs I was wearing back then were tooo tight as well subhanAllah May Allah forgive me of my shortcoming Ameen.
How I dressed before and thought was covering (NOTE THIS IS NOT ME) this is how I was dressed that day

How I cover now of course with niqab (NOTE THIS TOO IS NOT ME ) just wanted to show MY understanding of coverning then and now alhumdulilah.





1) Women must not dress so as to appear as men. "Ibn Abbas narrated: 'The Prophet (Sallalahu alayhi wasalaam) cursed the men who appear like women and the women who appear like men.'" (Bukhari)

(2) Women should not dress in a way similar to the unbelievers.


The Conditions for the Proper Hijaab
AUTHOR: Shaikh Zayd bin Muhammad Al-Madkhalee
SOURCE: His treatise "Wujoob Sitr-il-Wajhi wal-Kafayn"
PRODUCED BY: Al-Ibaanah.com

Second: An explanation of the conditions required for the Hijaab to fulfill its religious objective. Below is a list of the Hijaab’s necessary conditions:

1. The Hijaab must cover a woman’s entire body, based on Allaah’s statement: “O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the believing women to cast their jalaabeeb over themselves (i.e. their bodies).” [33:59] You have already come to know from what we have written previously that the jilbaab is a long garment that is ample enough to cover the entire body and that the meaning of the word idnaa (to cast) is “to lower” and “to let down” as was stated previously.

2. The garment must be thick, not thin and transparent. This is since the objective of the Hijaab, which is to veil a woman’s entire body and her hidden and apparent adornment, cannot be achieved with a thin garment. Therefore, that which a great amount of covered women wear today, which they call the ‘abaa’ah (cloak) or the malaa’ah (mantle), but which are transparent and describe the skin, such that the onlooker can see what lies beneath the garment, is not considered a legitimate Hijaab since it only brings about an increase in her ability to entice (men) with her attractive and alluring features. And yet they only wear it so that it could be said: “They are wearing Hijaab.” So we seek Allaah’s refuge from deception, the harm of which only falls on those who love and are infatuated with it.

3. The Hijaab must not be a source of decoration in itself, such as by it being colorful and flashy, causing eyes to turn towards it and hearts to be diseased (with temptation). We explained previously the meaning of Allaah’s saying: "And (tell the believing women) not to display their zeenah (adornment) except for that which is apparent from it.” [24:31] So since it is this way, then every Hijaab that does not prevent the display of one’s adornment in front of male-strangers, is not a valid Hijaab.

4. It must be ample and loose, since a tight garment outlines the body and reveals it in front of male strangers. So it goes against the objective that is sought after from the obligation of Hijaab. Furthermore, from the various types of tight clothes is that which is called pants, since it does not properly cover what it goes over. On top of that, it describes and outlines the body, as well as resembling the dress of men, and the Prophet (sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) cursed: “The man who wears a woman’s garment and the woman who wears a man’s garment.” [Reported by Abu Dawood and An-Nasaa’ee]

5. It is also required for the Hijaab not to be perfumed, since fragrances cause men’s desires to be incited and for them to be tempted, against their wills. So a woman who does this carries the sin of her action as well as the sin of those who respond to her active call to this type of fornication. It is reported in a hadeeth collected by the Sunan compilers and others that the Prophet (sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “Indeed, when a woman perfumes herself and then passes by a gathering, she is such and such” – meaning a fornicator. And in another narration, he (sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “Verily, when a woman perfumes herself and then passes by a group of people such that they can smell her scent, she is a fornicator.”

These, O Muslim brothers and sisters, are the conditions required for the Hijaab to achieve its intended objective. So we must fear Allaah and be dutiful to Him by obeying what He has commanded and abstaining from what He has forbidden, and by following His Messenger (sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), for indeed this brings success in both this life and the next
~~~~~~~~~~~That's Not Hijab~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: